Friday, 20 August 2010

To obscure; What the heck is that?

In one of my regular forum crawls I came across an article relating to little known rock band "PRESS PLAY ON TAPE". Heard of them? I suspect you haven't, but for the uninitiatited they cover music from computer games of the 80's and are the ultimate in Geek Rock just for the reference in their name (yeah STFU Weezer!). The funny thing is they've gained a little more net recognition purely because a Wikipedia admin decided they "were too obscure and thus should not be covered" thus boosting their attention. In fact the forums mentioning this and my blog space surely now can be cited as people talking about them and thus are no longer obscure and should thus be mentioned on wikipedia, right?

What gets me is that we've got a website here which, although user based, attempts to fill the niché and ultimately be seen as a template to remove big cumbersome 48 volume editions of the Encyclopedia Brittanica, so surely the obscure has a place on there? Further reading on the case suggested it was two volunteer admins fighting over something which had nothing to do with the actual case but still carried on, oh look moderators being unable to do their job, I guess every website on the planet has these *REST OF SENTENCE REMOVED BY BLOGGER.COM ADMINISTRATORS - PS YOUR MOTHER LOOKS LIKE AN ORANGUTAN*

Seeing this I decided to do a little research, first I looked on Wikipedia for Pythia, after initial Greek myth based page I got to the band. Now despite the ignorant admins saying magazine reviews are not acceptable evidence of receiving reviews from said magazines (WHA?) the page still exists. I've since looked it up on google, "Pythia band" gives me 37,200 results "PRESS PLAY ON TAPE band" gives me 271,000 results. Which one is more obscure there based on a basic google search.

In short, I'm confused now. What is the point of getting something together, supposedly as a source of information, if people are unable to go there as a source of information? Is it all about the size of your e-peen ("Hi I have 96 platinum trophies on Playstation, wanna bang?") or is it just a special level of anality? Due to this little incident I've gone and investigated P-POT (just noticed hilarity of abbreviation...) and actually, they're quite good. It's not what I'd normally listen to but ultimately it's fun and hearing "Monty on the Run" as a guitar solo made me smile, lots.

Thanks a lot for that Wikipedia but realistically, too obscure? When I can get a detailed biography on any minor tribal leader from some Pacific island don't remove this information. Everyone knows Wiki isn't the perfect source for information but it's a great tool to just get a quick overview on any subject. Don't restrict it just because a certain mod/admin dislikes another mod/admin/user. There's enough of that on cliquey little forums without preventing information getting out and just plain old tarnishing your name further.

No comments:

Post a Comment