So yesterday we headed in to London for another day of Forumbatical shenaninanagans and as always in a basic and largely free day we managed to thoroughly enjoy ourselves with the purist pleasure of conversation for most of the day. As I touched on the other day it's a great example of the positives of internet forums in that people with only music in common as a starting point can become better aquainted. March last year we all met, though for my part Hannah and myself were farther back in the queue and so didn't have that long day at Brixton bonding with the rest of the group who would later become Forumbats. As a result, for me, the group really came into their own at the start of August last year when we decided to do a "Brixton Aftermath Meet", after all the Brixton topic on the forums had grown to twice the size of itself and had been about the only topic to get any use in the meetings forum anyway.
So in that August meet we really got to know eachother as more than the screen names. One of the highlights of that one being a very unsure Holly being incredibly obedient when I forebade her from leaving. Sadly she's since got to know me better and now is almost as disobedient as Jackington but from a "don't really know much about her" she's become someone whos company and opinions I thoroughly enjoy listening to, she's also incredibly posh so when the revolution comes I've got someone on the inside working for me.
On All Hallows Eve we were reunited for the third time of 2009. This time due to the increased potential for shite weather we settled on an indoor course of action for the day with a Jack The Ripper walk to finish, of course, in costume for the occasion. Started the day waiting outside the Natural History Museum posing for photos while dressed as Death and waiting for our latest addition, GemGem. Again we had a great time over the course of the day, and though couldn't remain for the walk due to impropper footwear from SOMEONE it was fantastic. Highlight, GemGems mock wedding speaches during a ceremony held by Cap'n Yappo. YAAAR!
Next meet up was on Soul Cake Duck Day (or Easter to "normal" people) which became a pain due to peoples trains being late (GEMMA!), coming in to Hyde Park from the wrong entrance (flange...) or throwing a sicky (Kate) but we managed to meet up and although I can't recall a definite highlight of the day for me we again had a time good enough to come back soon. Which was the 4th September.
Yesterday could've been the last convenient meeting for us now as "the Forumbat kids" now fly the nest and head off to uni. It won't hamper things too much, after all Owen does travel down from Cockermouth but on those rare breaks home from studying I'm sure they can think of better things to do than hear my abuse. Still we will make it happen and another fun day worth remembering.
Some things from this one, the woman randomly turning up and doing "Li-Chee" in the middle of Hyde Park, Holly did at one stage see her take her top off, sadly I missed this so can not judge if it was worthy of a highlight due to the toff being too speechless to point it out on time. Spending a few minutes in the V&A museum, I've never been there so will have to have a decent look sometime, Kate checking the manhood of every statue we passed (watch her deny it) as we headed to the fashion section. Guess whom it was to head over to the underwear section first! Taking Gemma to the science museum to push some buttons in the kiddies section, Hollys suggestion of "Act simple Gemma" almost not needed as she was like a kid in a sweetshop with all the random gadgets.
Sadly, all good things have to come to an end and so following Holly having to head home early it was time for Gemma and Owen to head back to the horrible north (after getting "Stupid Deaths" stuck in my head) from Euston so after a portion of cheesy chips came the more sombre moment. Kate, Hannah and I visited Cross Bones cemetary, Southwark near London Bridge. An old site where prostitutes and those poor who could not afford a "real" burial were buried hastily in unconcecrated ground. Seeing the small ribbons left in memory of those fallen left there from three year old boys given the title "workhouse labourer" and 9 year old prostitutes to the list of prostitutes who were nothing more than a statistic murdered over the last few years in Nottingham.
A sombre and sorrowful finish to the day which is always appropriate considering the come down we have following any happy times such as music festivals or a good run on the stage. At the end of all things we have to say goodbye and as some old guy once wrote "parting is such sweet sorrow". Should we fail to make it to the barren north for GemGems 18th I for one can't wait until the chance to meet up in April as I know we are certain to have a great time with some great people, who bar for a convenient concert we never would have become so closely aquainted.
Before I get too serious, I leave you with a link to a couple who've been caught by police in Washington state US for stopping to make a sex tape during a break in. http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100824/ap_on_fe_st/us_odd_sex_video_suspects;_ylt=Ah.mAO.lt47hOMEj0SZsePXtiBIF;_ylu=X3oDMTJ1c2ZtNXQ5BGFzc2V0A2FwLzIwMTAwODI0L3VzX29kZF9zZXhfdmlkZW9fc3VzcGVjdHMEcG9zAzIEc2VjA3luX2FydGljbGVfc3VtbWFyeV9saXN0BHNsawNmdWxsbmJzcHN0b3I-- luckily they survived I guess. Otherwise I'd be singing THAT song again!
No comments:
Post a Comment